Tuesday, July 12, 2011

DEREK HOARE'S SISTERS SPEAKS OUT FOR HIM / 570

photo: Derek and Moy -  happier times
Derek Hoare's Facebook Page entitled Help Bring Little Autistic Girl Back to her Daddy has acquired a support network of 2536 members within a few days, three more added while I place this blog post online. Everyone is sending Derek's story and related links to their friends. Derek's sisters Moy and Mandy have written both an appeal and a support note below (printed with her permission).
"My name is Moy Harries and Derek Hoare is my younger brother. I am writing this letter in support of my niece, Ayn returning home as soon as possible.

I don’t know a more dedicated and loving parent than my brother, Derek. I would challenge anyone to trade their life for even a day with my brother. He has truly given his life to helping his children’s special needs. Anyone who meets my brother easily sees his deep devotion for his children. I have never once heard Derek complain or wish his life different. In the last 11 years, Derek’s children have continued to thrive, develop and grow despite all odds. Derek has studied, researched and worked hard toward teaching all his children as best able and this is evident in seeing his children today vs. 10 years ago. Derek’s children are bright, funny, happy little souls and I love them all dearly.
Even though we reside in Ontario, myself, my husband Jeff and my son Cole have visited regularly over the years. Our last visit was only a few short months ago in March of 2011. Ayn has grown into such a little lady. Ayn’s laughter is infectious and she is beautiful inside and out. Her composure and capabilities are increasing by leaps and bounds as she ages. I have never seen Ayn in a “dangerous” outburst. Ayn certainly can be a handful – but so can my 8 year old son who is not autistic!

I agree 100% that my brother has his hands full raising his 3 children on his own with limited family support. He would never have it any other way. No one should judge my brother’s struggles and triumphs with his family. I personally think increasing support to help my brother raise his 3 children in their own home would be the absolutely best outcome.

I can only imagine the fear and confusion Ayn must be feeling right now. I know the pain my brother and nephews are feeling is tremendous. This tears at my heart as a parent. A fast resolution to any concerns about Ayn’s safety should be paramount.

Ayn will always require more help and support as she grows. So help my brother please. Not by removing Ayn from those she loves and is most comfortable with – by helping her in her own home.

The most beneficial outcome for everyone in this family would be continued support for my brother while raising his children in their home. No one is going to help Ayn more than my brother. No one is going to love her and support her more than my brother. No one.

There is no person better suited to continue to be the main source of love & support for Ayn, Lyric and Wyatt than Derek.

Please help support my brother in raising his 3 children in their home. Please return Ayn to her family as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Moy Harries, DSW, EA"
I have an addendum to post. Derek's youngest sister wrote a comment today on the blog site, and I want you to read it. She too is highly supportive of Derek, for good reason, and critical of the failure of MCFD to act properly with regard to this case.

"My name is Mandy, and I am Derek's younger sister. I was the one to start the facebook page and I wouldn't have done it except for the strong love I have for my brother. I have kids myself, none of which are autistic, but when ever I have any issues, i immediately call on him for advice. Derek's parenting skills are unmatched by any professionals, and he supports and understands his kids better than anyone.

I can't imagine Ayn trapped in that place for months. Someone at MCFD did not "investigate" the situation properly or else I would have been contacted. Another flaw in the MCFD is that instead of placing a special needs child into foster care after removal from a family is to talk to the closest relatives. A child is supposed to be with their family who knows them and understands them.

Derek is the most patient and understanding parent out there and Ayn needs to be returned. The best place for Ayn to be is where it will do the most good. That is, and always will be....  Home."

The Care2 Petition Site provides an opportunity to sign a petition for Ayn (Bring Ayn VanDyk Home) and to join the now 2100 signees already there. By the time you go to the site, there may be 3000 signatures. Your signature is delivered to the Ministry of Children and Family Development.

Please contact Derek Hoare directly at 

Derek Hoare iconoclast_ensues@yahoo.com 904-HELP AYN 904-435-7296

6 comments:

  1. In searching through CANLII.ORG, there does not seem to be too many autism cases ("autism" and "cfcsa").

    On BC case Rob Hamilton won for MCFD in 2000 (Rob is the Bayne's current lawyer) pointed to deficiencies with the parents dealing with their autistic child.

    http://canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=autism+CFCSA&language=en&searchTitle=Search+all+CanLII+Databases&path=/en/bc/bcpc/doc/2000/2000bcpc53/2000bcpc53.html

    The deficiency identified with Derek is the fact Ayn escaped for three hours. The insinuation is the child could have died, given her special needs.

    The biggest hole in MCFD's actions is that they removed one child out of three. If a parent is deemed neglectful for one child it is supposed to apply to all children. Otherwise, MCFD can be seen as undermining their own argument and shortchanging the remaining children in terms of protecting them from an adult seemingly incapable of protecting a third child.

    Bethany Bayne is the only child of concern, yet the three boys were removed as well. This should be Derek's main thrust at the Presentation Hearing to downgrade the removal to a supervision order.

    I hope Derek is able to get autism experts to publish an analysis. Derek needs reports from the so-called professionals that are currently treating Ayn, and have those disputed, and expert evidence on file before the case goes to trial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gather Derek's "first appearance" today resulted in the news the Presentation Hearing would not happen for "months."

    It is very likely the recent case of the autistic child left alone with a dead mother has some bearing on this case. The Ministry would not want to be seen as not acting with ANY report involving an autistic child. Derek's case is a perfect example of how a previous case that is critical of MCFD's handling results in over handling of similar sounding cases afterwards.

    Hopefull Derek will use those funds raised to hire someone like Robert Hamilton, who may be successful in having Ayn returned at the Presentation Hearing.

    The membership count on the facebook group continues to rise, 2614 as of this writing. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Mandy, and I am Derek's younger sister. I was the one to start the facebook page and I wouldn't have done it except for the strong love I have for my brother. I have kids myself, none of which are autistic, but when ever I have any issues, i immediately call on him for advice. Derek's parenting skills are unmatched by any professionals, and he supports and understands his kids better than anyone.

    I can't imagine Ayn trapped in that place for months. Someone at MCFD did not "investigate" the situation properly or else I would have been contacted. Another flaw in the MCFD is that instead of placing a special needs child into foster care after removal from a family is to talk to the closest relatives. A child is supposed to be with their family who knows them and understands them.

    Derek is the most patient and understanding parent out there and Ayn needs to be returned. The best place for Ayn to be is where it will do the most good. That is, and always will be....

    Home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, thanks, you will notice your comment above but I have also placed it in the body of the post itself so that it will not be missed and it complements your sister's piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fast forward 18 months... Yes, I said a year and a half later: No finding of need for protection is substantiated.

    Autistic girl to be returned home to dad

    By Vikki Hopes - Abbotsford News
    Published: December 10, 2012 7:00 PM

    http://www.abbynews.com/news/182905021.html

    SAMANTHA'S LAW in the neighbouring Province of Alberta could have averted this tragic demonstration of Ministry's ignorance towards the disabled community in British Columbia. Caring families dealing with issues of medical and developmental diversity such as Autism must be handled distinctly from the Child Welfare Intervention Model. I am striving to secure similar Policy across the Country to combat against tragic situations like Ayn's from developing. Let's focus on the children; it is not simply one child in this family negatively impacted, but 3. Ayn has been separated from her two brothers and they from her all for naught! Eighteen months is a very long time - birthdays and occasions come and go, children gain inches in height, and memories of terror do remain a lifetime affliction. A year and a half for Ministry to concur that Ayn was not in need of protection; justice delayed is justice denied! Incidentally, I can speak to this case directly as I have met Derek Hoare and his sons and will personally vouch there is no better, well-equip, caring daddy for Ayn than within the home she shared amongst siblings. - Velvet Martin, Spokesperson for Protecting Canadian Children

    ReplyDelete

I encourage your comments using this filter.
1. Write politely with a sincere statement, valid question, justifiable comment.
2. Engage with the blog post or a previous comment whether you agree or disagree.
3. Avoid hate, profanity, name calling, character attack, slander and threats, particularly when using specific names.
4. Do not advertise