Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DEREK'S REPORT ABOUT CASE CONFERENCE

This morning Derek Hoare wrote his initial account of the Case Conference held yesterday to determine the future of his daughter Ayn, a ten year old girl who has a condition known as Autism. She has been in the custody of the Ministry of Children and Family Development since June 16, 2011. Derek and Ayn's mother Amie long to have her returned to them. She was removed following an incident in which she wandered from home for three hours until she was located by police.
"We arrived early for the case conference which was set to begin at 10:45. It started a bit late, likely closer to 11.



The meeting is in an informal setting at a round table where all parties are to discuss the situation as it stands, what the hang ups are and how we can move forward from here. Time is very short so all points are made in extreme brevity. I tried my best to outline some of my frustrations and concerns.

I did not walk away with any greater understanding of MCFD's position, though they were questioned about it many times. My understanding of the "conference" before entering was that it was my chance to finally get the judicial process to the point where I can argue my position before an unbiased judge. In that, it was successful.

There was a lot of pressure to put off the trial and wait until after mediation. However, I was adamant that I wanted that (trial) opportunity. It was very emotional for me, I cried several times, and tried to get them to see the harm they were doing to a beautiful girl and her loving family. My lawyer requested a brief recess towards the end to try to reduce my emotions.

Upon my return I did get them to agree to a trial. With that we set off to the court clerk to find some available dates.... well my lawyer did. I went outside where my emotions again poured out rather embarrassingly. A group member did happen to pop in and was right there to let me cry on their shoulder. I then went in to sign off that I had received my dates (yet another pink slip); but this one was different it was the finish line, win or lose it will be the end.

So here they are: Oct 23rd- pretrial, Dec 7th- Trial begins, Jan 30th 2013 second trial date, Jan 31st third, Feb 1st fourth, Feb 14th fifth, and finally Feb 15th completion (this could elongate mind you).

So now finally we can see the end of the judicial process, a year away but we can see it. This does not mean that the ministerial process is over but that the oversight of the courts has reached its point where a trial is set to determine the justifiability of this. I am meeting with the new SW on Wed, where I do hope to discern where this process is headed from here in terms of the ministry, I hope to continue where it had left off but as of yet I am still in limbo. I do know that the Ministry is going to begin drafting a counter proposal to offer me, but I have to wait weeks longer for that to be completed. It is "hoped" that it could be done by Feb 24th, a week prior to my Formal mediation which is scheduled for Mar 2 I believe. So Tonight I ponder what to do and where to go from here. Lots of possibilities lie before me and I am sorting through it all. Will be posting more and am hopeful that I'll get lots of input and advice from everyone."

2 comments:

  1. This statement HAS to boggle the minds of ALL reasonable people; "the courts [has] reached its point where a trial is set to determine the justifiability of this". How is it justifiable for any parent to have their child stolen ---ripped away from everyone and everything they know --- and then have to wait 1+ - 2+ years for some stranger to "judge" whether of not it was justifiable for a bureaucratic, untrained, corrupt agency to rip a CHILD from their loving home?!? This is madness! This is cruel and should be illegal. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. MCFD is just running the clock out so that they can get an automatic continuing care order/ward of the province/terminate parental rights from the judge and use that poor kid as a cash cow for the rest of her childhood. She's worth no less than $1000/month just for the foster parent's pay. Then there's the psychologists, counselors, and any number of people who are going to be waltzing through her life with their "treatment" plans and "lifestyle training" and everything else they can come up with.

    ReplyDelete

I encourage your comments using this filter.
1. Write politely with a sincere statement, valid question, justifiable comment.
2. Engage with the blog post or a previous comment whether you agree or disagree.
3. Avoid hate, profanity, name calling, character attack, slander and threats, particularly when using specific names.
4. Do not advertise