Tuesday, January 31, 2012

CHARLIE KNOWS WHAT AYN EXPERIENCES

Ayn at age 3
If Ayn could assemble the words to help many of us understand the world as she perceives it, an almost parallel world in which she lives, she might say something like that which another writer named Brian Webb has composed. Brian Webb's grandson has Asperger syndrome. Brian attended an EarlyBird Plus course with his daughter. "I found the course excellent", he says. "I learned so much from it". The course inspired Brian to write a poem from his grandson's point of view, which he gave to his daughter, who read it aloud at the EarlyBird course. Two of the teachers on the course have since taken it to their schools to help other children understand Asperger syndrome. Brian knows what Ayn experiences, and now you can too.

My name is Charlie

My name is Charlie; I'm different to you
I don't see the world the same as you do.
You see a classroom and I see a chair
I don't always notice what else is in there.

Too much information keeps coming my way
It's so hard to cope with, day after day.
You show me so much that I don't always see
One step at a time is the best thing for me.

Bright lights and loud noises upset me so much
An unusual smell, or somebody's touch.
When you look in my eyes and I'm looking away
I'm not being rude if I don't hear what you say.

I'm not being awkward; I'm just doing my best
I'm striving so hard to be just like the rest.
The times when you think I've not really tried
If only you knew how that hurts me inside.

I want you to like me the way I like you
If only you saw things from my point of view.
Your life and my life both run parallel
Yours seems like heaven, mine's sometimes hell.

Whenever you're frustrated at the things that I do
Remember
You could have been me and I could have been you.
© B.J. Webb. 2007

SITES WHERE THIS POEM IS POSTED
http://spectrum.t83.net/#/poem/4552622006
http://autismdiy.wordpress.com/mothers-forum/
http://www.autism.org.uk/our-services/residential-community-and-social-support/parent-and-family-training-and-support/early-intervention-training/find-out-more/parents-views.aspx










No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage your comments using this filter.
1. Write politely with a sincere statement, valid question, justifiable comment.
2. Engage with the blog post or a previous comment whether you agree or disagree.
3. Avoid hate, profanity, name calling, character attack, slander and threats, particularly when using specific names.
4. Do not advertise