August 2–4, 2013, Vancouver, British Columbia
We are pleased to announce our third annual E.B.M.S.I. conference, designed for both families falsely accused of child abuse and professionals and paraprofessionals who work with child abuse cases. The faculty includes physicians and attorneys, expert witnesses and advocates, and social service professionals. These experts come ready to work with and learn from each other and the attendees.
The conference curriculum covers the fundamentals of evidence-based medicine and its role in improving how investigators and decision makers handle suspected abuse cases. The goal is to help child protection services truly meet the needs of children and their families and to help the legal system handle these difficult cases more justly.
▪ The evolving child abuse medical literature
▪ Medical mimics of abuse
▪ Defending against abuse allegations in both family and criminal court
▪ The standards and guidelines for child protection investigations and process
▪ The challenges of creating a bureaucracy to handle family matters
The faculty includes:
▪ Physicians from a variety of specialties
▪ Forensic pathology
▪ Biomechanics experts
▪ Veteran defense attorneys
▪ Social services professionals
▪ Parents who have survived the system
Please see the faculty 2013 page for more information about individual presentations.
Registration is $250 Canadian, currently very close to $250 U.S.
For the registration form, please go to the registration page.
For a downloadable version of the conference flier, please follow this link: 2013 EBMSI Announcement-Flyer.
For more information about the conference site, please see the Venue page.
For information about watching the conference on line, please see the Live Broadcast page.
EBMSI Mission Statement:
Evidence Based Medicine and Social Investigation (EBMSI) provides support for families and caregivers who have been accused of abusing infants and children in their care.
Although child abuse is a real and serious problem, so is over-diagnosis of abuse. A long list of medical conditions—including pregnancy complications, prematurity, metabolic and genetic disorders, infections, vitamin deficiencies, and short falls—can cause intracranial symptoms similar to the brain injuries often seen in battered children. When parents or a caregiver cannot explain what looks like a “non-accidental” injury, not only are they accused of abuse, but their child may not receive the medical care he or she needs.
EBMSI is a bridge between families and the medical and legal experts who can help ensure a just and healthy outcome for everyone. Doctors familiar with the mimics can often identify the true causes of a child’s condition, or recommend tests that have not been done. Lawyers can help protect not only the safety of the child but also the rights of the family.
• to maintain a database of the evolving medical research
• to coordinate second opinions with experts from a variety of fields
• to coordinate legal assistance in both family and criminal court
• to provide social support for families
• to organize annual conferences that bring together experts from the range of specialties that inform this troubling arena
Welcome to our site, while you are here, please browse through to learn more about our annual conferences and some of the resources that we provide. If it is research and articles you are looking for, please visit our sister site http://medicalmisdiagnosisresearch.wordpress.com/
From the Directors of EBMSI.
14067 66 Ave Surrey, BC V3W 2B2 Canada
- Zabeth Bayne Founding Director z firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matthew Seeley Director email@example.com
- Charlene Hyra Director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anne Bernardo Director email@example.com
- Michelle Weidner Director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sue Luttner Director of Communication s email@example.com
- Bekah Guerrero Administration Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Innocence Network has hired a staff lawyer who is also available to advise and provide materials to attorneys. Your attorney may contact her at: Katherine Judson email@example.com
Location: Pacific Life Bible College
The College is located on a 42-acre campus in Surrey, B.C. about 30 minutes from Vancouver, B.C., and 15 minutes from the Canada/U.S. border (Peace Arch Border Crossing). It offers a peaceful, wholesome, suburban setting that’s conducive to study; yet Canada’s third largest city, is readily accessible.
Pacific Life Bible College
15030 – 66 A Avenue
Surrey, BC V3S 2A5 CANADA